Off of the Grid

Posts tagged “repair

Teardown Complete!

YAY! We finally got the last of the old flooring out. Now there is just the frame and the chassis of the trailer. We have some wood cobbled together in-case we need to make the RV street safe but that is off to the side.

WOW! Just had to get that off my chest. OK. Here is what we found.

  • We found both steel beams bent by the passenger side rear dullies. Not sure what would have caused this kind of damage in this spot. Massive over burden? Improperly placed jacks? Accident? These will need to be removed and replaced.
  • Rust – a bunch of rust but fortunately less than we were expecting. You can tell this rig was not an East Coast vehicle. I was terrified we would get everything off only to discover that road salt had eaten away the very base of our home. At that point, we would be game over and homeless. There is a reason I haven’t been sleeping very well at night. The rust that we did find is treatable. PHEW!
  • The back steel beam going across the rear of the RV is slightly bowed up. You can see from the pictures. Again, not sure what would have caused this damage. We know from the people we bought the RV from there was extensive back end damage from them backing into something. I can’t remember what. This damage could have been caused by that. It looks like something we can hammer back into place but I will defer that to the hubby and a body shop.
  • We still have that one steel beam that is broken off the ‘C’ bracket extension. I showed that image previously but will edit the photo to make it a bit more obvious.

Otherwise, things look good! Everything from this point forward is a step towards putting Winnie back together. Stronger, and Better than before. When we are done, we will have a custom brand new 2017 RV.  🙂

Advertisements

Deconstruction almost complete

We have the walls completely off. We disassembled the cab-over yesterday and got all the rotted wood out and exposed the frame. Now we are working on the roof. Yesterday Daniel spent time on the ladder trying to get the roof off from the center out. Sounds weird until you remember that we had a piece of filon tacked up there to patch a leak. So, instead of trying to pull the roof off from one of the sides, we just went to the place in the center where we had already ripped and cut the worst parts of the damage out. Daniel just pulled off that filon strip and got to work on the rest of the roof. Xander and I spent some time picking up the small pieces of insulation off the ground. Our friends are being so incredibly awesome to let us work here, I am certainly not going to pollute their property! We have enough debris for another dump run so we will get that done today or tomorrow. Then we will remove the floor, and check the aluminum sheet on the bottom of the bed and replace the wood that we see that is rotted down there. Bit worried we will have to replace that sheet since aluminum is pricey!

You have to keep a sense of humor in all this, so Daniel has been having some fun with Gimp and editing our progress photos. Check ’em out!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Here are in-progress photos of the rig, the frame and where are at with this project.

Here are our ‘To-Do’ tasks for the day:

  1. Go talk to more service shops about the frame and our ideas. We don’t think we will need to do any additional extending to the frame with out 3′ addition based on our discovery of the ‘C’ bracket extension already there but we want to ask as many shops as we can before building.
  2. Start calling welding shops and metal supply shops
  3. Do the drafting to get the placement of the changes to the frame we need, and finalize the floor plan with the measurements.
  4. Get to dump (maybe – if we have time)
  5. Remove more of roof this evening and get that back section that is hanging removed.

There ya go! We will keep you posted. Would love to hear your comments – other than ‘You’re Crazy!’ – we already know that. LOL!


That Pesky Leak!

Well, you all know we have to replace the roof. We have had this pesky leak where the air conditioner was since forever! When we had Winnie sitting for two years, this leak got worse. Caused some damage to the floor as well, of course. Well, we have patched and patched and patched – all to no avail. Everything we do seems to open up other leaks. We know! We Know! We need to replace the roof! Tell that to the weather here in CO! Snow one day, sunny 60F+ day, rain the following hovering around 40F. ARG! Can’t do it here. We HAVE to get a patch that works until we can get to WA in June.

So – my amazing hubby and I had some serious discussion about what we could do to finally seal the leak so we can put in the new floor and cabinets without water dripping on them for a couple of months. Some of the options we discussed included building a roof on-top of the roof, getting a heavy tarp to cover the roof and stapling the heck out of it to prevent it from becoming a sail or cover the leaky section with Fylon and seal the edges. The fylon solution won. Daniel found out that we could purchase a 4′ x 8′ section from Lowes and some roofing material adhesive (I will have to go outside and get the name off the tubes).

NO MORE LEAKS!

While Daniel was up on the roof, I was inside, literally holding the roof up while he was shimmying around installing the panel and glue. Good thing we haven’t raised the roof yet! We will let you know if this repair/patch was successful or not but we are pretty sure it is. It’s raining today so we’ll know soon enough. LOL! It just has to hold till June! That’s all we need! 🙂

Hopefully the following posts will be showing some improvement on the interior. Otherwise my anxiety level will be through the roof! Winnie has to be livable by the end of the month and we still have to do the wiring and plumbing! <breath><breath> We can do it, no problem.

Leave a comment, tell us what you think. See you out there!