Walls are up! Working on the roof.
Hi All –
We have been busy and I have just been lax about updating the site. Seem like we have been running-running-running to get this thing boxed up so we can drive out of here. We had our first snow this past week which put about 3″ on the ground. The temperature plummeted to a mere 15 at one point. Daniel was outside working and the screws were literally breaking. Obviously he had to stop for a while till it warmed up again.
We discovered that there are challenges to building a straight wall when the RV is actually not quite straight. That was exciting. All is good but we ended up having to give the rig a chiropractic adjustment to get the walls on the chassis. Friends from a local homeschool community came and helped us lift the 31′ long walls and put them on the rig. While we were waiting for everyone to get there, I had the kids build a wall section with some of our scrap materials. Every kid had to cut their luan wood, glue the wood to the insulation, and then install the skin. I also handed out a bunch of sharpies and had them decorate the sub-floor with drawings, games, song lyrics – whatever they wanted as long as it was positive and kind. One kid actually wrote out the entire phrase that we all know so well from Mary Poppins. I am not even going to try and spell it – LOL! Love it!
We ordered our new door from Dyers RV – turns out they have the same door as Camping World at the same price but don’t have us pay for shipping. SWEET! Camping World wanted $144 in shipping! Dyers and Camping World had the door with window and screen for about $200 less than all other competitors though. The shipping from Dyers was super fast – 3 to 5 business days. The first door arrived damaged so we had to refuse delivery but they were super prompt about the replacement door. It arrived just fine earlier this week.
We want to have a bit more flexibility with the roof and what it supports so keeping weight in mind, we added an aluminum brace every two feet connecting wall-to-wall. Then we used 1/2″ wood instead of the luan so the roof would be a bit more substantial. We aren’t going to store anything up there, but it sure is nice to know we can stand up there and not fall through if we want. Plus – the braces going across the top make the rig more stable.
I know you all really just want to see the pictures so here ya go!
Time to drive Winnie to the construction location to get our new walls!
It was surreal driving behind the rig – she’s naked!
Our homeschool friends came over to help up lift these up. Couldn’t have done it without them! Here we are having some trouble getting the walls to sit in the channel properly.
Daniel and a kid were on the inside trying to direct and help.
Our pretty new wall! We haven’t taken the plastic off the filon yet – someone remind me to do that!
Daniel was getting some braces up STAT so we could drive back to our friends place.
YAY! We have walls! There was a bit of flexing as we were carrying it but the walls did OK. The area where the door will go in on the side looks weird but that’s OK. That is where the door is going. It’s hollow there – we didn’t construct that the same as the rest of the wall. So the alumium door frame is just wood.
We got back to our friends place where we started this project. and Daniel is fixing the cab-over.
There – looks better. With the walls up, there was a bit of a curve.
Door’s Here! 😀
See how pretty?
Then it snowed. We got the tarp carport back up and tied down really well. Winnie is parked under that fortunately. I can’t believe we have been here since July!
Daniel started putting in the aluminum ceiling braces.
They are every 2′.
Our son got in on the action and helped to keep a side in place while Daniel screwed them in.
Some of the ceiling pieces are in place. Daniel was able to get the walls in the channel and they are now fully and correctly bolted down to the chassis.
Here is the front,
And the back. Daniel framed in a large door for the back wall. We will seal that up as soon as we get the door installed on the side. Eventually, we will also have a door back there for our deck.
The cab-over. The nemesis of every RV owner. Daniel and Greg fussed with this for a while. Daniel made some these forms.
Spaced across the cab-over, they will give us something to curve the wood over and attach to.
They made the wood a bit damp to bend it without it breaking and then used the blow torch to dry it off quickly once it got to the shape they wanted.
Two layers of filon to match the width of the rest of the roof.
All the final roof pieces have been dry fitted into place. You can see Daniel’s hand hanging through the ceiling as he attaches the wood to the frame.
Here you can see the interior of the front part of the RV. The cathedral ceiling is so cool! I can’t touch the ceiling! 🙂
This last piece is just a bit too wide so they are sanding it down to size.
Greg waiting for the all clear from Daniel on the roof.
Daniel sanding on the right. You can kind-of see the roof line under the tarp.
We dropped the board. AAH!
And some more sanding…
Looks like we have it!
Looks pretty cool. We already have the piece for the front so once in, that’s it! We are all closed in! 🙂