It’s all about the floor…
Hi All –
We have been busy. Friday was spent getting materials. As much as we could with the time and money we had. It meant a morning confirming our reservation at the storage unit place and paying for it. It meant picking up the roofing kit that we purchased from a local RV shop. NOTE TO SELF – NEVER go back there. They blithely overcharged Daniel by $163.00. I rushed to the parts counter and demanded the refund. I am sure steam was coming out of my ears I was so mad. After a small amount of, “Oh, that’s right.” the refund was issued. How many other customers do they do that to who just write it off as tax or something?
Back to the rebuild. What did we get?
- Aluminum rec tube for the RV frame. Remember, the extension was never added by the welders so we need to extend the aluminum frame.
- Angle tubing for the exterior
- 1″ dense Styrofoam for the floor x 6
- 23/32″ plywood tongue-n-groove x 6
- foam glue x 12
- contact cement x 2
- 3/4″ Styrofoam that goes inside the frame – no idea how much we got
- 1/2″ Styrofoam that goes outside the frame x 14
- 31 sheets of luan
- Rubber roofing kit with all the glue and tools needed. I can’t remember what it is called.
Our goal this weekend is to get the floor down and both side walls. We have to build out the aluminum frame before we can do the walls so we hope to take care of that early tomorrow am. We laid the floor today. We now have a lovely solid floor and I learned how to use a caulk gun. Daniel was a hoot. He was rolling around on the floor – presumably to make sure everything was firmly pressed and level but I think mostly to just have a bit of fun. During the construction, it was like a crazy trust experiment at times as I was holding plywood steady while Greg cut with the electric saw coming towards me. Daniel was smart, he took the side Greg was cutting away from.
We have been panicking a bit this past two weeks. Okay, this past month. We have anxiously been watching the temperatures go down. There has been frost every morning for the past week and Mt. Spokane officially got snow a day ago. This is a very, very bad thing. If it gets too cold, the contact cement won’t bond the luan to the filon and we’re screwed. Working outside is no longer an option. I have called RV shops, warehouses, commercial rental agencies, storage facilities and garages in the area. No-one had any space for us to work on the rig indoors. We had to adjust our building plan. A wonderful woman I recently met has a large pole building. I called her and pretty much begged. LOL! She and her family are letting us use part of their building to construct the walls where we can keep the temps above freezing while they cure. They are literally saving us. This whole project almost came to a screeching halt. While our friends have teased us about being welcome here for Christmas, they (understandably) really don’t want us here. We have already been here about two months longer than originally planned. We are obviously keeping the glue inside where it is warm. We will have space heaters running when we are building to keep the walls warm so they can properly cure. Then we will mount the walls in there entirety onto the rig. Filon, Luan, Styrofoam, Frame, Styrofoam, and final Luan will all get bonded together. Once properly cured, we will lift it up onto the chassis and screw it in. So exciting!
We dropped off the filon and Styrofoam at the build site and came back to work on the floor.
Enough talk! Here are some pictures of our recent work.
Because we are no longer going to be able to build out the way we were expecting, those folded aluminum sides are going away. We picked up extra blades for the saw so we can cut those off.
That’s all our news for now. I should have more pictures tomorrow after we get the walls going.